21 April 2009

"The Times Reports Quarterly Loss of $74 Million" - NYTimes.com

Reality strikes after yesterday's great news about all of the Pulitzers. As much as I rely - and pay for that reliance with a 7-day print subscription -on The New York Times, I do not feel like I am a meaningful member of any NYT community. To be honest, I am not sure what would give me that sense of belonging; all I know is that I don't have it, perhaps many others as well, and unless we "get it", so to speak, these numbers are likely to look even worse. I recall an apron I have hanging in a closet. On it is printed something like "I got my job through The New York Times". It is hard to remember the last time I got some validation/reward for having seen something in print or online - editorial, advertising or otherwise - and having done something in response...from doing a link like this one to making a recession-beating purchase of some sort. Surely, there are creative ways to address this far better than has been done to date.

No comments: