12 March 2009

"For Papers, a Downsizing Trickle Becomes a Flood" - NYTimes.com

I continue to believe that we need just one newspaper - anywhere - to demonstrate how they have responded to the information and service needs of the geographic market they seek to serve, successfully, in order to turn this around. What are the criteria? That more than 90% of the people with access to the internet in that market have subscribed to something from the newspaper in any medium with some paying for highest value offerings, and that everyone in the market is offered a free daily product that, when combined with the electronic offerings, is the most essential means by which advertisers of all kind can seek customers in that geographic market.

So far, as I sit in Chapel Hill, several newspapers have me well within that 90% group, with me paying money for some of what I receive from newspapers, but none of them has yet perfected the link between me and the mass of advertisers physically located inside and outside this geographic market whose customer I already am or whose customer they would like me to be.

I don't see any one of thes papers - from the most local to the most international - even trying to do this.

Why is this job so hard to grasp?

No comments: